European Citizen's Initiative
click and sign
The FFF ECI has 4 aims that were constrained by the 500character limit given by the European Comission. The first ( 😉 ) ECI was worked out from April to Juli 2019. And was aimed at general impact in Europe and Worldwide. The challenges were little knowledge about the competences of the Comission, the character limit, and contact to the different national assemblies in time. The big ongoing challenge is to diffuse knowledge of the initiative to all local groups, so they go out and start collecting signatures during the big strikes. We need 1'000'000 Signatures in order to present to the Comission.
"BEFORE FFF WILL NOT GET ANY VISIBILITY OR IMPACT WITH THE COMISSION" - a member of the https://eustaff4climate.info/
It was registered with the European Commission on Juli 19th in order to be ready for signing 2months later. (The comission is slow) First signatures were collected on September 23rd.
Our four objectives for the ECI are:
1) The EU shall adjust its goals (NDC*) under the Paris Agreement to an 80% reduction of greenhouse gas emissions by 2030, to reach net-0 by 2035 and adjust European climate legislation accordingly.
Our first objectives is asking the European Union to change its Paris Agreement goals to an 80% reduction of greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and net-0 by 2035 for all member states. The European climate legislation needs be adjusted accordingly. We strongly believe that reaching net-0 by 2050 as proposed by new head of commission Ursula von der Leyen is not ambitious enough to stay beneath 1.5°C. This is also backed by numerous studies(like this one) and scientists for future.
2) An EU Border Carbon Adjustment shall be implemented.
With our second objective, we are asking for a charge, called Border Carbon Adjustment (BCA) to be put in place. This means that imported products will be charged according to the amount of greenhouse gasses emitted during the production. That way, a European industry shifting towards a more sustainable production will still be on equal basis with countries who do not respect the 1.5° goal.
3) No free trade treaty shall be signed with partner countries that do not follow a 1.5° compatible pathway according to Climate Action Tracker.
Our third objective is linked to the second one, as we are asking the member states of the European Union not to sign any free trade treaties with countries who are not on a 1.5° compatible pathway. To decide whether a country is on a 1.5° compatible pathway or not, a neutral entity is needed. The Action Climate Tracker has appeared to be an adequate choice, however, suggestions of other entities or even new EU-bodies can be made.
4) The EU shall create free educational materials’ for all member curricula about the effects of climate change. The fourth objective concerns education. We are asking for free educational material, available to every citizen and adjustable into the school programs of every country of the European Union. It needs to teach not only about the effects but also the causes and solutions to climate change.
The complete text of the ECI and more background information on our objectives can be found here.
What is an ECI?
ECI stands for European Citizens Initiative. An initiative enables citizens from the European Union to call directly on the European Commission to propose a legal act or concrete demands in an area where the Member States have conferred powers onto the EU level. In our case we want the EU Parliament to prioritize every topic related to the climate crisis and to take actions on climate emergency. If our ECI manages to get 1 million signatures from citizens of the European Union, who are nationals of at least one quarter of the member states, (names of the people who form the committee), who form the Committee of this ECI, will present the initiative in front of the European Commission. The Commission will “ set out in a communication its legal and political conclusions on the citizens’ initiative, the action it intends to take, if any, and its reasons for taking or not taking that action.”
An ECI is the most direct way into the European politics. It is different than a petition as, if we manage to collect the 1 million signatures, the European Commission will be forced to take position and publish a communication and teh European parliament will hold a public hearing on the topics. Furthermore, it is not only symbolic because it can become a law on a European wide scale
The team are we all of us. Everyone is needed. We have a large list of TODO's that need to be taken over. The list is by no means complete. Any help is needed. You can find the main chat in https://t.me/FFFeuECI and just join. (Mostly we need Europeans as the Initiative is only affecting the EU) There are several sub-groups:
- Publicity that deals with social media etc.
- Public relations dealing with contacts to other groups-"for future" environmental NGOs etc. (needs urgent support!)
- Website is dealing with translation, updating webpages etc
- FFF-coordination is distributing info about the initiative in all the different chats there are. This needs to be done by everyone reading this. We need to start collecting everywhere, otherwise we will not reach the one million signatures.
However our citizens committee consists of the following 7 people; Thomas Eitzenberger, Austria (Representative), Astrid Budolfsen, Denmark (Substitute Representative), Ole Müller, Germany, Federica Gasbarro, Italy, Alejandro Martinez Martinez, Spain, Janina Swiersewska, Poland, and Guilhem Heuline, France.
Those People do not have any power, the only thing they will have to do is to go to speak in front of the Comission and Parliament in order to explain/defend the initiative in the case we collected 1'000'000 signatures.